Image from Authority Dental under CC 2.0
We understand that exposing your child to radiation may make you feel uneasy. However, X-ray technology has come a long way and is safer than ever before! X-rays are a valuable resource for diagnosing and preventing a wide array of dental issues in both adults and children. Keep reading to learn more about dental X-rays.
Traditional vs. Digital X-Rays
Traditional X-ray technology utilized physical film to produce X-ray images. They took a long time and didn’t always produce the most precise images. Now, dentists utilize digital X-rays. Digital X-rays provide instantaneous, precise imaging results. They also emit 80% less radiation than traditional X-rays.
When Do Kids Need X-Rays?
X-rays allow dentists to see beneath the service to catch any dental issues that can’t be seen by the naked eye. Digital X-rays allow dentists to evaluate tooth development and jawbone health, and check for decay, infection, and other anomalies.
Even though digital X-rays are safe for kids because of the low amount of radiation exposure and infrequency to which they are taken, our team is mindful to only require X-rays when necessary so the benefits outweigh the potential risks. Some of the most common reasons we’ll need to take an X-ray are to:
- Analyze jawbone positioning and joint health
- Assess your child’s tooth development
- Check if there is enough room for wisdom teeth & see their alignment
- Look for tooth decay in hard-to-see places
Types of Dental X-Rays
There are many types of dental X-rays that provide different insights into your child’s oral health. Some of the most common dental X-rays include:
- Bitewing – Bitewing X-rays take images of specific areas of the mouth. They are often used to identify tooth decay between teeth and at the gumline.
- Panoramic – Panoramic X-rays take images of the entire mouth from the jawbone to the crowns of the teeth. They help provide a full visual of a child’s oral health.
- Occlusal – Occlusal X-rays capture the entire arch of teeth and can be helpful in assessing a child’s bite alignment.
Schedule Your Child’s Next Visit!
Are you looking for a friendly, experienced pediatric dentist in Austin, TX? At Austin Pearls Pediatric Dentistry, we utilize state-of-the-art dental technology to provide safe and efficient care for kids in the Austin community. Please contact our office to book your child’s visit!